This is my current favourite way to jazz up some chicken breasts. I don’t mind a bit of chicken but sometimes it just bores me. I wanted something different, something healthy and above all something quick. These take less than 30 minutes from start to finish. So, even if you think you have no time to prepare food you need to make the time (in general) and for these.
Not only is this recipe great for adults it’s great for kids too! They get to enjoy eating them but best of all they can muck in and enjoy the process of making them too. I am all for kids getting involved in the kitchen young. Yeah they’ll make an almighty mess but the skills they get out of it are priceless.
Cornflakes and cornflour naturally don’t contain gluten, so in theory these should be gluten free. However both products can be produced in factories that also handle /process gluten containing food so cross contamination can occur. So, if you genuinely can’t have gluten in your diet please ensure you check the packet of both products to ensure they are in fact gluten free.
Crispy Chicken Strips (Serves 2)
- 2 large Chicken Breasts
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 cups of Cornflakes
- ⅓ Cup of Cornflour
- 1 tablespoon of Fresh Thyme Leaves, roughly chopped
- Grated Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper, ground
- Preheat your oven to 180℃.
- Take your chicken breasts and cut them lengthways cutting each breast into about 4-5 pieces, each piece being roughly 2cm thick. Set the strips aside whilst you get along with the rest.
- Take a bowl and whisk your eggs together, just until they are combined, set aside.
- Take a large plate and put the cornflour ½ teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper on this. Mix together until combined and set aside.
- Take a large plate and pour on your cornflakes. Crush the cornflakes with your hands until they form a medium size crumb. You don’t want them to become a dust, hence why I don’t use the food processor.
- Add the thyme leaves, lemon zest and remaining salt and pepper (½ teaspoon of each) to the cornflakes and mix through until everything is dispersed evenly through the cornflake crumbs.
- Now the fun begins. Take a chicken strip and toss it in the cornflour until it’s completely covered, then remove it and dust off any excess flour.
- Now take the same strip and dip it in the beaten egg, again until completely covered.
- Now dip the strip into the breadcrumbs and toss it about until it’s completely covered. You might need to press the crumbs on to get a good thick coating.
- Follow this exact same process for the remaining chicken strips. Once each strip is covered in the cornflake layer place it on a baking sheet.
- Place the strips into your preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- You’ll know they are ready when the crumbs have gone golden and the strips are firm when you press them
Serve them with whatever condiments you fancy. I love to serve these with just a squeeze of lemon, some sweet potato wedges and a side salad. Make extras and you have a balanced and tasty packed lunch on your hands.