I posted a recipe for my vegan yoghurt cake a while back and it went down a treat. That recipe was based on this one,which is the tried and tested original basic yoghurt cake. This recipe comes courtesy of my boyfriends Mum, his favourite cake and one of mine too. If you’re not a confident baker or are just starting out then this is definitely the recipe for you. It couldn’t be easier, dumping everything into a bowl, whisking it together and putting it into the oven, simples right?
Once you’ve got the basic batter mastered you can play around with adding in some jazzy additions. Orange flower water or lemon zest are my go to flavourings but I also like to add in some fruit too, whatever is in season. If I use fruit I prefer to make it in a brownie tin and place the fruit on top as per the vegan version.
The recipe is based on a 125ml yoghurt pot. If you’re using yoghurt from a larger pot that a ½ cup measure will work as an equivalent .You can also make this in a brownie pan though this will affect the cooking time, by approximately half.
1 pot Plain Yoghurt
2 pots Sugar
3 Pots Flour
½ pot Oil
1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
Optional Flavouring additions:
¼ teaspoon of Orange Flower Water
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
½ Tablespoon of Lemon Zest
Optional Fruit Additions:
½ cup of Berries
Plums, halved of chopped and stones removed
Tinned Pears, drained
- Preheat the oven to 180 ℃
- Grease and line a small loaf tin with oil and baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the yoghurt,sugar, oil and eggs.
- Add in the flour and baking powder, whisk until everything is smooth and combined.
- Here is where you can add in any additions, a flavouring plus or minus a fruit.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Place into the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes until golden and cooked through, a skewer should come out clean.
- Once cooked remove from the oven, allow to cool a little in the tin before placing in a wire rack to cool completely.
- When ready to serve dust with a little icing sugar, slice it up and serve.