This is my other half’s favourite cake which ,of all the cakes possible, I always thought was rather disappointing. That said it’s become a staple in our household as an “everyday cake”. We almost always have the ingredients to hand so in a cake emergency this is my go to. I decided it was time to make a plant based version replacing regular yogurt with soya yogurt and eggs with even more soya yogurt! The result is a deliciously moist cake which we’ve decided almost tastes like doughnuts ,in a really good way. You can jazz it up in anyway you fancy once you keep the basic ratio of flour, yogurt, sugar and oil the same.
You could easily make this cake with no fruit but I just think it takes it to next level deliciousness. Here I’ve used plums but I’ve also made it with raspberries, blueberries and cherries, all equally moreish. Use whatever you have going, frozen fruit works great too!
This is honestly one of the easiest cakes to make and I urge you to give it a go.
Yogurt Cake (Serves 6-8)
1 Cup of Soya Yogurt
½ cup of Sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla Extract
Zest of ½ Lemon
¼ cup of Oil
1 ½ cups of Flour
Fruit of choice- approximately 1 cup of berries or 4 plums or other stone fruit, sliced in half.
- Preheat oven to 180℃
- Grease and line an 8 inch tin, square, round, whatever you fancy.
- Add the yogurt, sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and oil into a mixing bowl, stir together.
- Now sift the flour into the yogurt mixture and stir until all of the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- If you are using berries, mix them through the mixture at this stage.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and spread out into one even layer. If you are using stone fruit place the halves on top of the cake mixture and press them gently in so they are snuggled in.
- Place the cake in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes, testing after 30 minutes.
- Once cooked remove from the oven and allow to cool before removing from the tin.
For an extra bit of pizzazz sift over some icing sugar, cut into slices, serve with a big mug of coffee and enjoy! x x