Banana bread was one of the first things I remember baking all by myself (That and chocolate chip cookies, gosh they were good too). I used to bake it a lot (A LOT) and It’s still one of my favourite treats to rustle up. It’s also one of the easiest things to bake so there is an excuse for a bad loaf .
You might be wondering if the original recipe I used is so good then why change it? Well, I work with a lot of clients with food allergies. Genuine food allergies, often multiple. This can be incredibly difficult to manage particularly in children. Though the range of products available in the supermarkets is getting much better, they can come with a heavy price tag. So, I’ve set myself a mission to come up with some easy, delicious and low cost recipes that the whole family can enjoy, allergies or not.
This is also a great option if you are watching the waistline with it being free of added fat and lower in free sugars then your standard recipe. This does not mean eat it by the bucket load (though trust me you’ll want too). Like all sweet treats enjoy in moderation as part of a healthy balanced diet.
This recipe is dairy free, egg free, nut free and vegan (provided you don’t use honey)
Wholewheat Banana Bread
⅓ Cup Apple Sauce (Homemade or Shop bought)
¼ Cup Brown Sugar/ Honey/ Maple Syrup (40g)
¼ Cup Unsweetened Oat Milk (You can use any plant based or dairy milk)
2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
3 very ripe medium Bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons of Milled Flaxseeds
6 tablespoons of Water
1 ¾ Cups Wholewheat Flour
1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
½ teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon of Cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 165℃
- Grease a 2 litre loaf tin with vegetable oil and line with baking parchment.
- Mix the milled flaxseeds and water together and set aside to form a gel- approximately 15 minutes.
- Whist the flax gel is forming mix the apple sauce, brown sugar, oat milk, vanilla extract and mashed bananas together.
- Once the flax eggs are ready mix them in with the above mixture.
- Now add in the wholewheat flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Stir the mixture until everything is combined and pour into the prepared loaf tin.
- Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes to one hour, test after 50 minutes- a knife should come out clean.
This is delicious just by itself but you could have it with some coconut yoghut, tahini or if you have no allergies some delicious nut butter! x x