You may or may not have realised that I love my raw food bars or energy bites. The best grab and go snacks out there that aren’t full of junk. At the moment I’m running from one job and another with little time in between. I need something quick that’s going to give me a good boost of energy but also something that isn’t going to be super heavy in my stomach. Especially important if I’m going to practice/teach yoga or go for a run.These bites are packed quick and slow release carbohydrates making them perfect choice and a perfect furl for a workout.
I wanted to make some nut free bites for a change, though you can always add a handful in or sub the tahini for your nut butter of choice. I love cardamom and will always put in 4 pods. If your not so swung on it start with 2 pods and increase to your own taste.
Spiced Carrot and Apricot Bites (Makes 12)
1 Cup of Oats
½ cup of Medjool Dates (Roughly 5 dates)
½ Cup “ready to eat” Dried Apricots
½ tablespoon of Tahini or Coconut Oil
¼ teaspoon of Lemon Zest
¼ teaspoon of Salt
1/2 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
2-4 Cardomom Pods, seeds removed
1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
¼ teaspoon freshly grated Nutmeg
¼ teaspoon of Ground Ginger
½ cup of grated Carrot
- Place the oats in a food processor and blend until they form a flour. Tip the flour out into a bowl and set aside.
- Now place the rest of the ingredients, except the carrot, into the food processor. Blend until a rough paste is formed and the ingredients and completely mixed.
- Now you can add the oat flour and grated carrot into the mixture and blitz until everything is combined.
- Take a small spoon of the mixture and roll it into a ball between the palms of your hands. Continue to do this with the rest of the mixture.
- Place on a plate (or into a lunchbox) and allow to cool in the fridge, option always to skip this step and chow down on them straight away.
I grab two of these for a snack on my way out the door in the morning or evening. They’re great crumbled into yoghurt for an easy breakfast or more substantial snack.
Have a great week! x x