I love a good variation on porridge and this is my current favourite. I don’t want to say I got sick of my creamy banana oats but I certainly needed a change. I made a batch of these totally off the cuff one morning when my parents were visiting, they were a hit. I have since taste tested them on two other victims and they have thankfully survived and given their approval.
I’ve been making extra big batches of this and simply eating it straight from the fridge as a snack. Yep, I enjoy cold porridge. I think this came about through necessity and it just grew on me. That said I would definitely recommend serving these hot, admittedly cold porridge is not to everyone’s taste.
I love to add a good drizzle of honey for some extra sweetness and sprinkle of crushed walnuts to add a good crunch.
Carrot Cake Oats (Serves 2-3)
- 1 cup of Oats
- 2 -2½ Cups of Milk ( I love rice milk for it’s natural sweetness)
- 1 cup of Grated Carrot
- ⅓ cup of Raisins
- 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly grated Nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- 1 tablespoon of Orange Zest
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, Crushed
- 2-3 tablespoons of Honey
- Place all ingredients for the base into a medium size pot. Stir until combined.
- Place the pot on the hob over a medium low flame. Stir the porridge continuously until most of the milk is absorbed, this takes 5-10 minutes. I like my porridge on the thin side. Once you have reached your desired consistency remove the pot from the stove.
- Pour the porridge into serving bowls and top with some crushed walnuts and a good drizzle of honey.
This really is one of the most comforting things you could have for breakfast. Without being cliché ,but totally being, you can really have your cake and eat it.
Have a lovely weekend x x