This sundried tomato pesto is everything. A tub on standby in the fridge will perk up those sad mid week dinners when eggs on toast seems like the best thing you can muster up. Toss it through just about any grain, add in some protein, some greens and you have yourself a winning meal. I use it as a sauce, dip, marinade and salad dressing. I’ll also great eaten off a spoon, I try to reserve that for when I’m alone.
Here I’ve mixed it with some ready cooked spelt, chickpeas and wilted spinach for the speediest mid week dinner. The leftovers make the perfect packed lunch too.
Spelt and Chickpeas with Sundried tomato Pesto
1 can of Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 pack of ready cooked Spelt, I use Merchant Gourmet. If you cook your own it’s approximately 1.5 Cups
4 big handfuls of Baby Spinach
1/3 Cup of Sundried Tomato Pesto (recipe below)
Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
1/4 Cup of Almonds
1 Cup of Sundried Tomatoes (I used the jared variety packed in oil, oil drained off)
1 Cup of Basil (1 small supermarket packet-25g)
2 Large Cloves of Garlic,crushed
1 Teaspoon of Chilli Flakes
1 tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 Cup of Olive Oil
1/3 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese (omit for a dairy free/ vegan version)
1/2 teaspoon of Salt
1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground Black Pepper
For the pesto:
- Place the almonds in a food processor and blend until they form coarse powder
- Place the rest of the ingredients into the processor and pulse until everything is smooth and combined. Taste and season as you like.
To assemble the dish:
- Heat a small non stick frying pan.
- Add in the spinach and cook until it is just wilted, remove from the heat and drain any excess water off.
- To a saucepan add in your chickpeas, spelt and pesto. Heat through. If your pesto is quite dry at this point you can always add in an extra bit of olive oil to prevent everything sticking to the pan.
- Add the reserved spinach into the saucepan and mix through.
- Pop everything onto a serving plate and top with a little (or a lot) of extra grated parmesan.
What could be easier! Have a great week all x